971 NW 124th Ave., Coral Springs FL 33071
Phone: (954) 757-5827
Writer, editor, web consultant, communication strategist
Key Skills: Writing and editing, including translation of technology concepts to plain English. Internet strategy consulting, rooted in years of market analysis. Practical knowledge of web and database programming, search engine optimization (SEO), and social media.
Carr Communications Inc. 1996 – Present
Provide writing, editing, and web consulting services.
Writing and editing:
- Write a column for Forbes.com on IT issues for small to midsize businesses.
- IT management features for CIO Magazine, CIO Insight, CIOZone.com, Information Week, and Defense Systems, including several cover stories.
- As a contract online editor for Multichannel News, copy edited articles, wrote search optimized headlines and decks, and tagged articles with keywords.
- Copywriting for brochures, websites, ghost written articles and technology white papers.
- Advise business, non-profit, and political clients on Internet strategy, including email and social media campaigns. Analyze and boost search engine rankings.
- Helped one State House candidate set a fundraising records, partly on the strength of our web and email appeals. ($92,000 for my candidate, the challenger, compared with $33,000 for the incumbent). Currently working with campaigns for Mayor, State House, and Congress. Integrate PayPal payments with custom script for donation tracking.
- Created and refined the website for a political and business networking group as it expanded from one chapter to go statewide. Created applications to promote events via email campaigns, record RSVPs, and collect payments. Each chapter president has a separate password to post events and send email invitations.
- PHP/MySQL database-driven websites, CSS, AJAX, WordPress administration and customization. Integration with PayPal and the MailChimp email broadcast service.
Baseline Magazine, Ziff Davis Media 2001 –2008
Senior Technology Analyst, Technology Editor
Researched and wrote in-depth case studies on information technology implementation and management, both successes and failures. As Technology Editor, advised the editorial team on technology issues the magazine should be covering.
- Produced cover stories on the operations of large Internet properties, including Google, Yahoo, MySpace.com, and Second Life. My July 2006 “How Google Works” feature remains one of the most popular stories on the Baseline website.
- Joined as one of the first magazine staff members, prior to the publication of the first issue in October 2001, and helped turn it into a respected award-winning industry publication (multiple Neal Awards for business journalism).
Internet World Magazine (formerly Web Week), Penton Media 1996 – 2001
Freelancer, Senior Editor, Technology Editor, Senior Technology Editor
Played a leading role in magazine cover stories and news analysis for online edition. Helped broaden the magazine’s focus to Internet use by all businesses, not just dot-coms. Moderated panel discussions at Internet World trade shows and ran the Best of Show Awards program.
Digital Communications Services 1994 – 1996
Vice President of Technical Communication
Managed projects and marketing strategy for a firm that provided research, writing, editing, and illustration services to software development organizations, particularly regarding object technology. Clients included IBM, Andersen Consulting, ITT Hartford, Hyperion Software, GemStone Systems, and Xerox.
Waterbury Republican-American 1988 – 1994
Reporter, Computer-Assisted Reporting Specialist, Network Administrator
Advanced from small town beat reporter to investigative reporting and the application of database analysis techniques to government data. Report on deceptive fundraising by the Connecticut Humane Society prompted Attorney General’s investigation and won 2nd place for investigative reporting from the New England Associated Press. Promoted the use of PCs in the newsroom, implemented a network linking PCs, Macs, and the newspaper typesetting system.
- For the Coral Springs Jobs Now career expo in January 2010, created online and print marketing materials and organized a successful career seminar series.
- Serve on Homeowners Association Board of Directors, managing budgets and contracts and working to improve communication with residents about neighborhood rules.
- As a volunteer on campaigns for Mayor, State Legislature, Congress, and President, did door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, event organizing, and online promotion of events. Precinct captain in the 2008 presidential race.
Education and Honors
- B.S. Journalism, Southern Connecticut State University, 1986.
- Certified PayPal developer, 2007.
- Novell Certified Network Administrator, 1994.
- Published science fiction stories in Writers of the Future and Amazing Stories.
Download: David F. Carr resume as .doc file